Martes, Pebrero 5, 2013

Fort Pikit- A Philippine National Landmark

The long wait is over – Fort Pikit in the municipality of Pikit, North Cotabato is now a National Historical Landmark. This is the first National Historical Landmark in the province of Cotabato said Gov. Emmylou “Lala” J. Taliño-Mendoza.
The Office of the Governor Emmylou “Lala” J. Taliño-Mendoza and the office of Mayor Sumulong Sultan of Pikit are working for more than a year doing the research and documentation of Fort Pikit history. The Governor also created a technical working group to draft the rehabilitation plan of Fort Pikit to coincide with the (100th Year) Centennial celebration on September 1, 2014.
Last March 1, 2012, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines has sent an official delegation to conduct ground validation, investigation of historical facts and site visit to Fort Pikit accompanied by the provincial technical working group.
Fort Pikit was built in 1893 of stone masonry as part of the series of Military fortifications in Mindanao by the Spanish colonial government; it was used by the American colonial government in the pacification campaign in Mindanao and by the Philippine Constabulary during the American period; it was also occupied by the Japanese Imperial Army and recovered by the American forces in their advancement to liberate Eastern Mindanao during the Second World War.
The National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) by virtue of the Republic act 10086 through a Resolution No. 7 series of 2012 has declared Fort Pikit a National Historical Landmark.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento